Finding the best pillows for side sleepers isn’t always easy. There are so many options to choose from that it can be overwhelming.
If you have ever gone to the home goods store searching for a pillow, you know what we mean. Do you pick the firm pillow, the extra soft, the v-shaped pillow or the one that claims to be hypoallergenic?
With all these choices, it’s easy to see how you could leave the store with your head spinning or just grab any old pillow just to be able to get out. However, you will never have to do that again.
By the time you have finished reading this article, you will know why sleeping on the wrong pillow can damage your health as well as what types of pillows there are out there.
We will end with in-depth reviews of the most popular pillows for side sleepers, just in case you are still unsure about which pillow to choose.
Why Is Your Pillow Important?
People spend a third of their lives sleeping. With this in mind, it’s understandable that you would want a comfortable pillow that will give them a good night’s rest.
However, choosing the proper pillow for you is about more than comfort. Using the wrong pillow, even if it is comfortable can cause several health issues that you might not have thought of.
- Do you have chronic migraines? If so, the cause may be your pillow.
- A pillow which is too soft will allow your head to rest at an awkward angle. This awkward positioning causes your neck and spine to be misaligned.
- A pillow that is too firm, on the other hand, leads to a whole other problem. A firm pillow will stretch the muscles at the back of the neck.
- It doesn’t matter whether your pillow is too soft or too firm. Either way, the symptoms can be the same.
- Migraines and neck pain are common, and unwelcome, morning companions.
- Headaches and neck pain are not the only problems using an improper pillow can cause. If you wake up in the morning with itchy, watery eyes, allergies could be to blame.
- When it comes to pillows, people generally think they are safe. After all, there are standards about what filling can be used.
- However, if you happen to be an allergy sufferer or an asthmatic, you need to be more careful. Feather or down pillows, for example, can exacerbate your condition, leading to coughing, sneezing, watery eyes, wheezing and general annoyance.
- A dusty down pillow can even cause an asthma attack. That’s not something you need when you’re just trying to get a good night’s sleep and wake up rested.
- There is one health problem that is specific to side sleepers. Have you ever awakened in the morning, only to feel like you have talked on the phone for hours?
- If you have, you know that the pillow you use can lead to pain or aching in the ear.
- This generally happens with firm pillows. The ear gets pressed into the hard pillow, which offers no give and leads to a world of hurt in the morning.
- The final health problem we are going to discuss today is shoulder pain. The misalignment of your neck and spine leads to more than just migraines and neck pain. Sometimes, pain originates in the neck and travels into the shoulder.
- Other times, people wind up sleeping on their shoulder. Doing this can cause it to hurt or become stiff.
- Doing this for a long period of time can cause chronic shoulder pain. This will lead to a decrease in productivity and your work and personal life will suffer.
Top 3 Pillows For Side Sleepers Reviews
Coop Home Goods Certipur Pillow
This delightful pillow might just be a sleep miracle. It is hypoallergenic, guaranteed to keep you cool and adjustable so you can get the proper pillow thickness for side sleepers.
The pillow is filled with shredded Certipur memory foam. This foam is hypoallergenic, mite-resistant and will not grow mold.
Furthermore, it will wick away any heat and moisture, keeping your head nice and cool. The coolness factor is also helped by the pillow’s bamboo polyester blend covering.
Because it is memory foam, it will also conform nicely to cradle your head and neck, giving you the best sleep possible.
Snugglepedic Luxury Bamboo Pillow
Bamboo is excellent for keeping your head nice and cool. It’s naturally moisture-resistant, so if you sweat a lot at night, this pillow will be perfect.
The pillow is actually filled with a combination of shredded memory foam and bamboo. Feel the comfort of a down pillow, with the firmness and support of memory foam.
Due to its filling, this pillow will keep your spine naturally aligned, preventing stiffness and pain upon waking.
You will also never have to fluff your pillow again. The Snugglepedic pillow will conform to any position you sleep in.
Knee Pillow for Side Sleepers by Cushy Form
As a side sleeper, you likely know that a knee pillow can be very beneficial. However, not just any old pillow will do.
The wedge-shaped knee pillow from Cushy Form will keep your lower spine aligned, while giving you leg support. The unique, contoured design also prevents the pillow from moving around as you sleep.
As an added benefit, the pillow also helps with aches and pains. Be prepared to kiss arthritis pain, nerve pain and stiffness goodbye.
Pillow Purchasing: What Do You Need To Know?
There are many types of pillows. Before choosing one for yourself, it’s important to understand what you need in a pillow.
Take into consideration the following factors.
In what position do you sleep most often? Each sleeping position has different support needs. There is a proper way to sleep on each pillow.
What allergies do you have? If you have allergies, that will impact the type of pillow you choose.
Are you worried about dust mites or other pests? If so, you will need a pillow that is dust mite resistant.
Are you one of those people whose pillow has to be constantly cool? If so, there’s a pillow for that too.
As mentioned above, there are several types of pillows. The one that is right for you will vary according to your needs, but in the next sections, we will go over some of the better options.
V-shaped and U-shaped Pillows
Shaped body pillows are mainly used during pregnancy. However, you don’t have to be pregnant to enjoy the support these pillows can provide.
Both V and U-shaped pillows fit around the back of the neck, providing excellent support. They are also excellent for side sleeping, as they were originally designed for pregnant women who can’t sleep on their backs or stomachs.
V and U-shaped pillows are also great for neck pain, as they remove a lot of the strain and stress.
Latex and Memory-foam Pillows
Latex and shredded memory foam pillows are excellent replacements for those made of down or poly fill. Down and poly fill pillows can cause allergies, but that is not all.
They are also home to bacteria, dust mites and fungi. All of these things can make breathing problems worse.
Furthermore, if you have leukemia or have had a bone marrow transplant, some of the fungus could kill you. Even if you don’t have a weakened immune system, these pillows are great anti-snoring pillows at the very least.
Side Sleeper Pro
Surprisingly, there is even a pillow that is made specifically for side sleepers, the aptly named side sleeper pro. This pillow is filled with micro air beads and promises a decrease in stiffness, neck issues, and other problems you might face.
The pillow also supports your shoulders. No longer will you have to seek shoulder pain at night relief.
However, if you switch positions often, this pillow is not for you. It is designed for side sleepers, but if you find yourself flipping to your back or stomach, you could wind up in some awkward positions.
Sleep is one of the keys to proper health. If you do not sleep well, you run a risk of developing all sorts of health problems.
The first and biggest key to good sleep is having the proper pillow. Finding that perfect pillow can be difficult but it doesn’t have to be.
Now that you have read this article, you have all the information you need to get started on your search.
Who knows? You might have more to gain on your quest than just a better night’s sleep.
After all, they don’t call it beauty sleep for nothing. A good night’s sleep could even prevent wrinkles, making you look more youthful.
You’ll just have to start your journey and find the pillow of your dreams.